Let’s talk about evil artificial intelligence. From Terminator to The Matrix, humans have feared computers taking over the world. I think there are great reasons why that’s unlikely:
1. Intelligence is hard to model.
2. Self-improving intelligence may be even harder.
3. Intelligence requires cooperation.
4. Intelligence grows. It is not a switch that is flipped.
5. There are different intelligence architectures (tortoise vs. hare). Humans learn from each.
6. Humans work together with smart machines. We use technology when it works well.
7. Friendly AIs will help us defend against evil AIs. Humans do this against human criminals.